Business Breakfast for Neighborhood Encourages Success
Businesses and neighbors gathered together for a breakfast meeting at El Toro Loco on Tuesday, November 15 with over fifty people in attendance.
The breakfast meeting came about because Walter Wills, III is passionate about the Kirby Gate area and is one of several Kirby Gate developers. The purpose of the meeting was for businesses and neighbors to meet each other, to hopefully feel connected because of mutual interests in the neighborhood and to hear updates about the area..
The breakfast meeting provided a relaxed and informal environment and the following took place:
- All attendees introduced themselves and gave a brief description of their connection to Kirby Gate.
- Neighbors and businesses listened to each others experiences within the local Kirby Gate business and neighborhood community.
- Walter Wills presented new development updates in the area.
- Three officers from the Memphis Police Department encouraged everyone to follow safety tips when shopping to deter crime.
- Everyone listened as the neighborhood watch representative introduced himself with enthusiasm and encouraged everyone to make a note of his phone number and office hours.
- Security One representatives provided current crime statistics with very few instances occurring at Kirby Gate.
Walter Wills, III read the definition of “Community” to the group. Community is a group of interacting people in close proximity that share some common values and is attributed with social cohesion within a shared geographical location. Intent, belief, resources, preferences, needs, risk and number of other condition may be present and common, affecting the identity of the participants and their degree of cohesivenes
Businesses represented at the breakfast meeting:
MEMPHIS MT. MORIAH POLICE PRECINCT
QUINCE COMPREHENSIVE MEDICAL
METHODIST HOSPICE RES
EMMANUEL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
GRUBB & ELLIS
WILLS & WILLS
EL TORO LOCO
LA RUES SALON
GREENTREES CIVIC ASSN.
KIRBY WOODS NEIGHBORHOOD ASSN.
KIRBY TRACE COVE
KESWICK – STORNAWAY